Posted in Models by Devin Maeztri on November 10th, 2008
The section below is republished with permission from the Going Solar Transport Newsletter #84, 4 November 2008, compiled by Stephen Ingrouille. Going Solar newsletter provides an excellent commentary on local sustainable transport issues in Melbourne.
â€œWhat makes a liveable city?
1. A liveable city has walkable, mixed use, higher-density, mixed-income neighbourhoods where it is a pleasant, short walk to a store, an office, a transit stop, a friends’ house, a school or a park.
2. A liveable city has vibrant, exciting, sociable, human-scaled pedestrian experiences.
3. A liveable city has little or no wide, multi-lane, high-speed highway and road infrastructure within its central area. And few, if any, one-way streets â€¦ or cul-de-sacs.
4. A liveable city has modest, traffic-calmed, tree-lined streets with on-street parking. Few, if any, roads are larger than 3 lanes in size.
5. A liveable city has high-quality public squares and public parks.
6. A liveable city has quality,locally-owned cuisine — some of which feature outdoor cafes found on a vibrant sidewalk.
7. A liveable city has quality transit. The service is frequent and easy to use.
8. A liveable city has a quality nightlife. The city does not close down at 5 pm.
9. A liveable city has quality bicycle and pedestrian facilities and a large number of bicyclists and pedestrians. Life without a car is perfectly possible and enjoyable.
10. A liveable city has little in the way of surface parking — particularly FREE off-street parking.
11. A liveable city has a compact downtown full of higher-density housing and diverse retail.
12. A liveable city has quality culture(entertainment, speeches, arts, etc.) and a quality university.
13. A liveable city has a high degree of civic pride, and a tradition of working to protect their unique, treasured features.
14. A liveable city has magnificent historic architecture.
15. A liveable city has little in the way of â€¦ noise pollution.â€
Ref: Dom Nozi See: Walkable Streets